Monday, August 31, 2009

In Check


Far too many times I find myself trying to control the outcome of anything and everything I do. Not only what I do but what my children and even my own husband do. It's amazing to me how much we, as humans, think we are in control of our lives. We do so much on a day to day basis just making decisions on a whim. Not thinking anything of it. We just do it and go on about our day. We go on doing what we think we are supposed to be doing. But are we sure we are doing what God wants us to do? Is what we are doing or about to do for God's glory? Have we consulted God in prayer before doing it? It's so easy just to carry on from day to day not thinking about God has planned for us and where he wants us to be. For several months now I have had four words stuck in my mind-

"...just pray about it." Those four words are forever etched in my mind. I do make a lot of decisions on a whim when needed but don't think that quote doesn't cross my mind before and after the decision has been made. Those four words were said one night by the owner of a local scrap book store. Whenever someone was stumped on where to put something, if they should buy this sheet of paper or that one or for more important things such as family issues she would proudly say those four words, 'just pray about it.'

As silly as it sounded the first time I heard it I went ahead and prayed about where I should put that sticker and if I should get that dinosaur paper set that I strongly felt was calling my name. I know what you're thinking, come on Tyra, really? Praying over THAT? Yes, seriously. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Did you catch that? Pray when? Pray continuously. Yes folks, that means to pray even when you are scrap booking.

Prayer is pretty powerful. Scratch that, prayer is REALLY powerful. If I did not pray and ask God for help and guidance I am pretty darn sure my life would be OUT OF CONTROL. He keeps me in check and focused. Ecclesiastes 7:14 says "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider:God has made the one as well as the other..", God has MADE one as well as the other. God IS in control. He plans things well whether we think it so or not.

When I saw this picture of Riley it made me think about control and prayer and how they work together. It's pretty simple just as the picture shows. At first it just looks like the kid loves to wear my pink hat and walk around with my Bible but after looking at it some more I thought, you know, the kid looks all a mess and seems to be missing a few important items if he were to really be walking out of the house like he thought he was and then it hit me. He's got all he needs. That Bible holds it all. Glad that kid keeps me in check.





No comments: